Sep 11, 2013

turn around.




“I’m on a roller coaster that only goes up, my friend.”
-John Green, The Fault in Our Stars.

One of the loveliest books I’ve read in awhile, John Green is one heck of a writer. I’ve resisted buying the book for a long time, because the general description of kids with cancer is so depressing that I’ve always put it down during my bookstore browsing. Until I impulsively grabbed one from the stack of TFIOS by the cash register. Those candy and gum cash register display people definitely know something.

Back to the quote. Life is going up, slowly, but surely. Perhaps detoxing fb has something to do with that.

Meeting up with dear friends for road trips and yamcha sessions are all fun and games, but the conversation ALWAYS veers back to the country, the economy, the are-you-for-real headlines, the happy demolition of heritage buildings, the impressive crime rate, the rising petrol prices, and those who have a choice to remain overseas will inevitably wonder when is the time to return.

Highly impressed by those who came back, and sadly wave my understanding goodbyes to those who gave up citizenship.

For those who want to come back but cannot, hang in there yoh. 


All those topics are so scarily depressing that I’ve decided to give thanks for some wonderful things about our country.


For one thing: Dental care. (go on, click on that link and laugh your face off) Being able to go to the shiny new government dental office some 10 minutes from my house, getting cavities filled for RM2. Thanks!

(Also clinic and hospital care, I think. Haven’t been there in years so I couldn’t say much on that.)


Second thing: PTPTN. There’s no way my shitty SPM and mediocre UEC results could’ve gotten me a scholarship to any university in the world, and my parents weren’t awash in money to afford private university tuition fees. PTPTN helped me get a university education. For that, I’m thankful.

Third: Location. There’s no way I can survive winter, and there’s no way Malaysia can survive earthquakes. We’re so LUCKY that there are no hurricanes and snowstorms. And sunlight is in abundance. Whee!


Of course there’s all the good food, incredibly old rainforests with the richest bio-diversities, amazing beaches, scuba-diving, but I don’t want to mention that right now. All those news about illegal logging is breaking my heart.  




Give thanks for Malaysia today! 






No comments:

Post a Comment